Sunday, June 18, 2006

Poor poor Bibou


Oh poor Bibou. She's in the middle of her chicken pox 'attack', and so far, she's been relatively good, considering what she's going through. She's had quite a bad outbreak, though we're thankfully that it (so far, touch wood!), has only attacked mostly on her outer surface. We've heard horror stories of pox occuring inside mouths, throats, ears of little ones. But, her attack hasn't been mild. She's got it all over her face and body. Her worst ones are the ones on her inner lips, outer ear and there is one particularly nasty one on the crease of her big toe. Ouch!
Most of her blisters have crusted over, so we hope the worst is over. But she is bored.. staying at home, especially in this heat! It was heated up slightly again. So, in trying to get her occupied for a while, I made some home-made playdough! It was really easy to make (see recipe below if you're interested), as she seemed to enjoy it. We took out the rolling pin and a cookie cutter, and she was into it. Rolling and cutting it, patting it, and then of course, throwing it all over!
It got really hot this afternoon, and after a while, you can see that we took off her top too. We didn't want her to get all sweaty and then all itchy again. She has been trying to stratch, but fortunately, not too much (yet!). I think the blisters around her bum are the itchest, as she keeps trying to take her diaper off and stratching. (I don't mind her stratching there versus her face. No one can see her scars there!).
Anyway, here's the simple recipe for homemade playdough:
300 grams of plain flour
225 grams of salt
2 tablespoon of oil
4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
about 2 cups of water (with coloring added if you wish. I didn't).
Stir all the ingredients in a non-stick saucepan, adding the water a little at a time, stiring in between. Once it is all mixed, cook it under low heat, stiring all the time. Stir until the mixture congeals and leaves the side of the pan. Lift up and knead until it is smooth.
The End! :)

4 comments:

Richard said...

Actually, it great Bibou is having her pox earlier than later. If you are living in Singapore, I will send my two boys over for a pajama party :)

BibouMummy said...

LOL. I also agree! We've had a few friends who had inquired about a Chicken Pox party for their kids too!

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

Yeah I agree that it's better to have it young. I got mine when I was 8 months' pregnant with my second - because my eldest was having his then. It was a pain. And now I have loads of 5cts and 10cts on my whole body :-(.

But for Thea and Armand, I got them injected against chicken pox. It was recommended by their doctor, hope he was right about it.

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

By the way, thanks for the play dough recipe, could use one.

And hope Bibou recovers well.