Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Where's Mickey?

On our 'last day' of holidays, we thought we'd try and do something we'd not done yet. The weather again wasn't all that great (apparently this past week has been one of the worst ever for a summer!), it was all grey, but at least it wasn't raining...YET! So, (having had a huge burger craving lol), I'd suggested that we visit Disney Village, which is just next to Euro Disney and the Disney Studios. It's a whole bunch of restaurants that are all centered around themes. There is of course Planet Hollywood, the RainForest Cafe, there was a Cowboy Western show called the wild wild west, a castle where you can enjoy your dinner in a castle setting. There was a Mickey Mouse Club where you guessed it, you get to eat with Mickey and Minnie... we missed that one, I would have popped in that one just to see Bibou's reaction!But we were there for one purpose... eat Big Whopping Size American Burgers! So it was Annette's Diner that we were aiming for.
After a fairly short drive (about 1/2 hour), as it was still August, and the roads were still fairly empty, we arrived at the Disney area. I had expected it to be really jammed packed with people, given that it is the school holidays and that it would be filled with holiday makers, tourists etc. Nope, we found parking very very easily (first floor too and right at the entrance). As we walked out to the plaza, it was really quite empty. Wow. But, hey, all the better for us! We were able to take great, clear photos of us in front of the famous Mickey Mouse Tower and clock). I guess we could have taken the plunge and gone into Disneyland Park itself, but we don't think that she's old enough to appreciate it yet. So why waste the money (it ain't cheap!), for something that would probably either bore her or scare her!
Anyway, we got to Annette's Diner and settled into a great booth. It's like one of those old time American diners, with a jukebox in the middle and the waiters were on roller skates (not blades). Daddy and I both each had a big American burger. Yum yum. I had an coke float too....ooo it has been a while. Remind me of the old days at A&W where we could get a root beer float. Bibou had an enfant menu with a little souvenir. She was happy to be able to have some French fries!
After lunch, we decided to explore the village... which besides all the restuarants, also had a lot of stores (what better way to make you part with your money??), and a few booths and rides... Unfortunately, and to our stunner surprise, we found that almost all the rides were closed! Including the merry go round that Bibou wanted to go on. She was really disappointed that she couldn't get on! And I'd thought that there would be a few Disney characters hanging around... they weren't any! They were on vacation I guess.
Anyway, we decided to then go visit the stores... which wasn't very easy as Bibou decided that she really liked a purse and decided to hang on to it while running out of the store! Daddy had to run like mad after her! We moved onto the other stores, and found one that had baby / kids clothes. We picked up a nice sweat top, and we tried it on her. As we were asking the sales lady for another size / color (I can't remember what - 'coz all I remembered was the next thing:) We turned around and saw that Bibou had not only picked up a 'handbag', she also had found one of those roller suitcase, pulled up the handle, and was dragging the bag like a professional traveller, totting her handbag. She went all around the shop. We were dying with laughter! Unfortunately, I was laughing too much to get any clearer photos, so you'll have to make do with some shaky ones!
It took a while before we can persuade her to let go of her bags! (I tell ya, I shouldn't get too worried about her being a tom boy, what with her early obsession with shoes and handbags!). Next shop, we went in to get her a balloon as I'd promised her one earlier... but then she saw a bottle of bubbles! It had been a while since she'd had any, and I guess she suddenly remembered! And she really really wanted it, and kept asking for her bubbles. So, soft hearted me, we got her a bottle of bubbles. It came in a really neat spill-proof bottle! I left Bibou and Daddy outside while I ran into yet another (adult) store to see if I really liked this raincoast that I'd saw (I didn't). When I came out, I saw Bibou sitting really quietly, very focused on getting her bubble wand out from the bottle (it actually isn't all that easy especially for young hands like hers). But what really surprised me was that, when she did manage to get the wand out, she could blow bubbles all by herself. And she was mighty proud of it! She kept asking 'Mommy' to see. I was so proud!

No comments: